Mar. 28, 2017

Woodie Chavis

Georgetown Memories of Old 


Lardy, it’s early on a Saturday morning in Georgetown, SC in 1979. I’m waking up to a beautiful morning. I get dressed and head out to the smell of bread and butter from the paper mill as I get in my Dodge Duster and head to town.

First up is breakfast at the Lafayette. I sit at the big table eating a western omelet and grits n toast talking to Mr. Paul McCants and others pouring down a great cup of coffee.

After which, I go to Front street to Richards Barber Shop; I’m getting a little shaggy. Sitting in the waiting chair reading the latest Field and Stream, it's my turn. Sitting in the chair, Richard asks me how I want it and I laugh because he has been cutting my hair for FOREVER. As he cuts I am memorized at the painting of Custard's last stand above the mirrors and the fact it is three paintings wide. I study it trying to figure out how I would survive. 

When Richard’s all done, he takes his Wisk Brush to swish away the hair from my neck. Then he uses a Gentlemen's Club Talcum Powder on the back of my neck. Soon, I'm back out on the street feeding the meter.

Now it’s time to visit the local stores along Front Street. I start with a visit to Parker Electronic Store next door and look at all the current electronics on display. Then it’s off to Irving’s where I’ll thumb through looking at the latest 45's. I’ll pick up a few, as well, an 8 track cassette for my car. I stroll across the street to see Bubba Ferdon at the Western Auto. We chat about a game that was on Channel 5 last week.

Cottingham’s is next. I’ll chat with Mr. Wallace and his wife and ask how Kevin is doing at college. I’ll be sure to buy a pair of Dockers. I have worn my pair of boat shoes out from going to Myrtle Beach.As I stop to feed the meter, again, I see Mr. Mundy strolling the street writing parking tickets.

It’s time to buy some new clothes. I hit up Belk's and see Tommy Pope in the store. Of course, he hits you up with his local wit and charm. I head upstairs to see what's on sale and grab some socks and a polo shirt for tonight.

Next stop, Roses. I walk in and am hit with smell of popcorn just popped with bags of warm cashews. I grab a bag of each and stroll around, stopping at the lunch counter for a fountain Coke. I enjoy shooting the breeze with the mayor of Front Street, Robbie Assey (honorary mayor).

I just can’t help but amble down the stocked toy isle being jealous of all the cool new toys I didn't have when I was younger. I decide pick up some April Showers powder for my Grandmother before I'm off to Tomlinson’s.

I buy some khaki pants for work, cross the street and go to both Fogel's and Ray's to browse. It's lunch time so after crossing the street to feed the meter (again), I turn and head back to go into Walsh's. I see Mr. Red and Miss Helen and stop to say hello. As I take a seat, I order up a Walshburger basket: add heavy onion n cheese with a cherry coke.

When I finally get back into the car, I hear WAZX where Tom Walters is broadcasting live from the new McDonalds on Frazier Street. I make it home where I drop off my goods then take a nap before my trip to the beach later that night.

Saturday afternoon and night: I wake up from my nap and sit in my grandfather old cast iron tub for a hot bath. Then I dress and get ready for the afternoon and night. The plan is to grab some dinner and head towards the beach for a night of dancing and frivolity.

I stop at Haselden’s Citgo and fill up as I speak with Gordon to confirm a Sunday 1:00 shotgun start at Winyah Bay. With humor, I remind myself that I’m the D player.

I was born in 1960 so I am the last of the baby boomers. I envy those older than I am. At least, they could circle the Pig that has just closed before heading to the Pavilion. That's what late teens did back before my group: circle the Pig and then go to the Pavillion.
My gang was going to the Plantation Lounge or now Bucky's Disco, or like I am tonight, headed to Myrtle to hit up 2001 or Studebakers (nightclubs).

But, first I stop off at the Plantation Kitchen for their great buffet of seafood. They have a salad bar and clam chowder. I get my fill of shrimp, flounder and deviled crab before getting on my way to the nightclubs.

At the end of the evening, I’ve had a great night of shagging with all the single gals at Studebakers that I could find. I leave around midnight and cruise the strip and see a few local Georgetonians doing the same. Then it’s time to head to Mammy's Kitchen for some late night pancakes.

I don’t drink because I don’t want a run into OW Brunson on the beach highway. Instead, I prefer to keep my driver’s license. He’s a good deterrent. Then I head back into town and call it a night. I have church and an early tee time with the Gordon Haselden group at Winyah Bay around 1:00.

I drift off to sleep hoping I have a Sunday dream coming. I was so blessed to be born in a town where everyone looked after you. Boy that sounds great; ahhh the memories of 1979!

Written by Woodie Chavis 

(Thank you, Woodie)