Entrees - Main Dishes
1 jar dried beef, sliced into thin ribbons
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
Pepper to taste
Melt butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add flour to the pan and whisk for several minutes to remove the raw flour taste. Slowly pour in milk and whisk continuously until a thick sauce forms. Add pepper to taste and stir in the dried beef. Serve over generously buttered toast.
- Season your steaks with just salt and pepper and sear on a high heat for a minute each side in olive oil.
- Once the steaks are seared add one glass of good white wine to the pan and finish the steaks to how you like them.
- Leaving the oil, wine and steak juices in the pan on a slightly reduced heat, remove the steaks to rest (the longer the better really as it will improve the evenness of the colour distribution and allow the meat to relax and stay juicy throughout!)
- Add 1 sliced chilli, 3 sliced cloves of garlic, 2 sliced anchovy fillets, 1 tbsp of chopped capers, and half a thinly sliced onion to the pan with a handful of chopped oregano.
- Add 200 - 250g of halved piccolo or cherry tomatoes (or which ever you prefer really!) to the pan.
- Add a cup of water and a cup of beef stock to the pan along with a handful of chopped fresh basil and a bit of salt and pepper. (Optional: add a handful of pine nuts)
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Re-add the rested steaks, turn the heat down low and leave the steaks in the sauce on a very low heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 mins.
- Serve with a small handful of fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil and some slices of crusty grilled bread on the side.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 15 - ounce can Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 10 - ounce package refrigerated biscuits (10 biscuits)
- ** Any kind of meat can be added or substituted for ground beef
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet cook beef until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce; heat through. Transfer mixture to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle mixture with cheese.
- Flatten each biscuit with your hands; arrange the biscuits on top of the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven about 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden. Makes 5 servings.