Bistecche alla Pizzialo
- Season your steaks with just salt and pepper and sear on a high heat for a minute each side in olive oil.
- Once the steaks are seared add one glass of good white wine to the pan and finish the steaks to how you like them.
- Leaving the oil, wine and steak juices in the pan on a slightly reduced heat, remove the steaks to rest (the longer the better really as it will improve the evenness of the colour distribution and allow the meat to relax and stay juicy throughout!)
- Add 1 sliced chilli, 3 sliced cloves of garlic, 2 sliced anchovy fillets, 1 tbsp of chopped capers, and half a thinly sliced onion to the pan with a handful of chopped oregano.
- Add 200 - 250g of halved piccolo or cherry tomatoes (or which ever you prefer really!) to the pan.
- Add a cup of water and a cup of beef stock to the pan along with a handful of chopped fresh basil and a bit of salt and pepper. (Optional: add a handful of pine nuts)
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Re-add the rested steaks, turn the heat down low and leave the steaks in the sauce on a very low heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 mins.
- Serve with a small handful of fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil and some slices of crusty grilled bread on the side.