Appetizers & Soups
Apr. 7, 2022
Crock Pot Potato Broccoli Cheddar Soup
• 4 cups shredded hash browns, thawed
• 3 cups small-chopped broccoli florets
• 1 cup shredded carrot
• 1 shallot (or 1/2 small sweet onion), minced
• 3 cups sodium reduced chicken broth
• 4 oz (1/2 cup) herbed cream cheese
• 1 cup milk (2% fat or higher)
• 8 oz (1 cup) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
• salt and pepper
Serves 4 to 6
1. To a 6-quart crock pot add hash browns, broccoli, carrots, shallot and chicken broth, then stir to combine, cover, and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or until broccoli is very tender.
2. To a blender add the cream cheese, milk, and roughly 1/3 of the cooked vegetables. Blend until very creamy then stir back into the crock pot, cover, and cook on LOW for 10 minutes.
3. Then sprinkle 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese into soup, stirring until the cheese is completely melted before adding the second 1/2 cup. Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve. Garnish each serving with a little more shredded Cheddar cheese if you wish.
Jan. 16, 2021
For the Bread:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder** (see notes)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups diced strawberries
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup finely diced strawberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk** (optional)
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
-In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla. -In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
-Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
-In a small bowl, toss together the strawberries and the 2 tablespoons of flour to coat the strawberries.
-Fold the floured strawberries gently into the batter.
Pour the bread batter into a greased 9"x5" bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
-A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean.
-Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
-To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, melted butter, diced strawberries and extract in a small bowl.
-Mix until it is smooth.
-Once the bread is cool, spread the glaze on top of the bread.
-Slice and serve.