Jan. 16, 2021

Early Prince Street

An early view of Prince Street, with the c.1824 Courthouse on the left. Across the street is a building that still stands but has been greatly altered. Built c.1735, the building was believed to have been an early banking house (18th century), The Winyah Inn (1902), home to the Georgetown Rifle Guards (1908) and the Winyah Masonic Lodge (1914). In 2005, it was home to the Georgetown County Museum before they relocated to a newer building on Broad Street. Today the building remains in private ownership. by Connie Jayroe-Owens