The Old Market Building was built in 1832–1835, and is a one-story, Classical Revival temple-form building on a high arcaded base.
The arched area was used as an open-air market but was enclosed in the early-20th century. A tower topped by a square stage and an open belfry was added. The tower houses a four-sided clock that was added in about 1842. The building has served as a town hall, a jail, an open-air market, and a slave market. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.